A new website has been created for The Dictionary of Welsh Biography. It will be launched at the beginning of November 2018 and will include new content, functions and design. Head over to biography.wales now to see what's new!
During World War I , Ruth Lewis ran a canteen for soldiers in the borough of Westminster . This canteen was the first to stay open throughout the night in order to provide for soldiers arriving at Victoria Station . For this service, she was appointed O.B.E. She was appointed a J.P. in the borough and she became the first woman to sit on the Flintshire Commission of Peace ; she appeared often on the Caerwys bench .
Because of her great interest in music , she was among the founding members of the Welsh Folk Song Society in 1906 . At the beginning of the twentieth century, Ruth Lewis , Dr. Mary Davies ( DWB , 143) and Mrs. R. Gwyneddon Davies , with the use of a phonograph, preserved many folk songs which were about to vanish from folk memory . She contribued on several occasions to the Society's journal. In 1927 , she was responsible for revising the Society's constitution and she was elected president in 1930 . At her own expense, she published a collection of Flintshire folk songs . She was elected a member of the Gorsedd of Bards . She was industrious in the Presbyterian Church of Wales , both in north Wales and in London . In recognition of their outstanding contributions to the life of the Church, an illuminated address was presented to Ruth Lewis and her husband in 1923 . In the same year, they both spent nine months working as missionaries in Lushai where their daughter was a missionary .
After the death of her husband in 1933 , Ruth Lewis was elected a member of Flintshire County Council for the Ysgeifiog and Caerwys districts. She was also a member of the courts of the university colleges in Bangor and Aberystwyth and of the courts and councils of the National Museum and the National Library . She took a great interest in Flintshire County Library and in the Women's Institute and she served as president of the Caerwys branch of the Institute and of the nursing society there. She d. 26 Aug. 1946 and was buried in the graveyard at Ddôl on 29 Aug.
Evan David Jones, F.S.A., (1903-87), Aberystwyth
Published date: 2001