A new website has been created for The Dictionary of Welsh Biography. It will be launched at the beginning of November 2018 and will include new content, functions and design. Head over to biography.wales now to see what's new!
In 1919 the Board of Agriculture was given a new title and wider duties; it became the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries . It set up a Welsh department at Aberystwyth , with Bryner Jones , who now resigned his professorship, as the first Welsh secretary . For the next twenty years he presided over a department which grew slowly but steadily as the ministry's work expanded. Nevertheless, it continued to regard agricultural education and advisory work at all levels together with livestock improvement as its main responsibility. One beneficial result of this policy and of the Secretary 's leadership became evident during World War II . The all-important County War Agricultural Executive Committees in Wales were able to enlist an exceptional band of experienced and well-trained farmers and technical officers in the vital task of increasing food production.
A fine physique enabled Bryner Jones to remain fully active until his death. After the strenuous war years from 1939 to 1944 , when he officially retired, he continued to act as the Minister's liaison officer and was chairman of Montgomeryshire committee from that time until 1947 . But this was not the final chapter in his long career. From 1948 to 1953 he was deputy chairman of the newly formed Agricultural Land Commission for England and Wales and was chairman of the Welsh Agricultural Land Sub-commission . During this period the Sub-committee conducted a far-reaching survey of farming conditions in mid-Wales . The results were published in 1955 in The Mid-Wales Investigation Report . He also managed and began to rehabilitate the Glan-llyn section of the Wynnstay estate after its transfer in part settlement of death duties.
Ever since his arrival at Aberystwyth , Bryner Jones had taken a broad view of his responsibilities. Consequently, he was engaged in a range of activities which today are often assigned to full-time staffs. Thus he was president of the Welsh Mountain Sheep Flock Book Society from 1913 to 1919 , while his keen interest in Welsh black cattle was recognised by his election to the Society's presidency in 1944-45 . Another institution which owed a great debt to him was the National Show — now the Royal Welsh Agricultural Show . He acted as honorary director , 1908-10 , was chairman of its council from 1944 to 1953 , and became its president in 1954 . His other life-long interests were Dr Williams' School , Dolgellau , to which he gave generous service for 25 years as chairman of the governors , and U.C.W. , Aberystwyth . He was a member of the college council from 1920 till his death. He did much to ensure that the Welsh Plant Breeding Station , with George Stapledon (see below) as first director and Professor of Agricultural Botany , came to Aberystwyth . In recognition of his services to higher education the University of Wales awarded him the hon. degree of LL.D. in 1938 . His official career was fittingly marked by the award of C.B.E. in 1920 , C.B. in 1934 , and a knighthood in 1947 .
Sir Bryner was the author of the first Welsh book on the scientific principles of manuring , Egwyddorion gwrteithio ( 1907 ); he edited Livestock of the farm and numerous reports of agricultural experiments. He was a contributor to the Welsh Jnl. of Agric. , first published in 1925 , on behalf of the Welsh Agricultural Education Conference of which he was chairman .
He was unmarried. He d. 10 Dec. 1954 and was buried at Brithdir , where his grandfather Cadwaladr Jones ( 1783 - 1867 ; DWB , 447) had been Congl. minister .
John Morgan Jones (1903-89), Aberystwyth
Published date: 2001