He became minister of the churches at Cwmllynfell , 1919-26 , and Soar , Lampeter with Bethel , Parc-y-rhos , 1926-51 . He held classes under the auspices of the department of extramural studies of the University of Wales and many came to his home (particularly in Cwmllynfell ) to prepare themselves for the ministry. He was a preacher and poet of very special talent-he won the crown twice-at the national eisteddfod in Aberafan , 1932 , and Neath , 1934 , and various other prizes (see the preface, ‘Diolchiadau’, to Cerddi Eirug ). He adjudicated many times in the national eisteddfod , and was known as ‘ Eirug ’ in the Gorsedd of Bards.
He edited Ffrwythau Dethol ( Ben Davies , Pant-teg ) and Cofiant Thomas Rees (a biography of his old principal at Bala-Bangor ). He also published a history of the church in New Testament times ( 1932 ), and a history of his two churches, Soar ( 1931 ) and Bethel ( 1940 ), and of Gwernogle ( 1949 ). He contributed articles to Y Geiriadur Beiblaidd ( 1926 ), and chapters on Philip Pugh and his predecessors in Y Cofiadur , 1937 , and on the faith of the Congregationalists in Ffyrdd a Ffydd ( 1945 ). He edited Y Dysgedydd 1943-51 , and his contributions showed him to be an astute thinker and writer on a range of topics. For a period his notes concerned ‘ Gwernogau ’ — his old area in Carms. These were collected under the title Yr Hen Gwm ( 1966 ), edited by one of his sons, Alun Eirug Davies . His poems were published posthumously in Cerddi Eirug ( 1966 ).
He m. in 1920 Jennie Thomas (a fellow-student at Bangor ), the eldest daughter of R.H. Thomas , (Presb.) minister , Llansannan , and they had eight children. Both he and his wife had a long struggle with ill health in middle age. She d. in 1948 , and he d. 27 Sept. 1951 .
Reverend Gerallt Jones (1907-84), Caerwedros, New Quay
Published date: 2001