Dictionary of Welsh Biography



A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



PRYCE , JOHN ( 1828 - 1903 ), dean of Bangor ; one of the three sons of Hugh Price (the sons altered the spelling of the surname) of Dolgelley ; all three were at Dolgelley grammar school , and all three were curates of Dolgelley and masters (for a period extending between them from 1851 to 1864 ) of their old school. The eldest, HUGH PRYCE ( 1826 - 1895 ) a graduate ( 1853 ) of Queens’ College , Cambridge , was rector of Llanfair-yng-Nghornwy , Anglesey , from 1872 till his death on 3 March 1895 . The youngest, SHADRACH PRYCE ( 1833 - 1914 ), also graduated ( 1858 ) from Queens ’; he was vicar of Ysbyty Ifan ( 1864-7 ), where he published Arweiniad i Eglwys y Plwyf ( 1867 ), a translation of a work by bishop Harvey Goodwin ; from 1867 till 1894 he was H.M. inspector of Schools in the diocese of S. Davids ; from 1893 till 1899 , vicar of Llanfihangel-Aberbythych, Carms. (and archdeacon of Carmarthen , 1895-9 ); and from 1899 till 1910 , dean of S. Asaph . He d. 17 Sept. 1914 , aged 81.

John Pryce went up in 1847 to Jesus College , Oxford , graduating in 1851 . He was curate (and master of the grammar school ) at Dolgelley , 1851-6 , perpetual curate of Glanogwen , 1856-64 , vicar of Bangor , 1864-80 , and rector of Trefdraeth , 1880-1902 ; he became canon in 1884 , archdeacon in 1887 , and dean in 1902 ; he d. 15 Aug. 1903 . He was of the High Church , and supported Philip Constable Ellis (q.v.) against bishop Bethell . He published a number of books on the history of the Church : History of the Early Church , 1869 ; The Ancient British Church , 1878 ; Notes on the History of the Early Church , 1891 ; Yr Eglwys Foreuol , 1893 .

Bibliography:

  • Bangor Manuscript at University College North Wales Library, Bangor 6455 in U.C.N.W. library;
  • Who was who?
  • Cardiff Free Libraries, Catalogue of Printed Literature in the Welsh Department , 1898 .


John Price m. Emily , daughter of Rowland Williams of Ysgeifiog (q.v.) and sister of Dr. Rowland Williams (q.v.) . Their second son was ARTHUR PRYCE ( 1867 - 1940 ), solicitor , registrar of the diocese of Bangor , and chapter clerk . From Friars School , Bangor , he went to Westminster School , and thence to University College , Oxford ( 1885 ), graduating in 1889 . He bore a striking resemblance to his famous uncle, Rowland Williams . He was a diligent historical researcher , who published many papers in antiquarian journals, e.g., ‘ The Register of Benedict, bishop of Bangor 1408-17 ’ ( Arch. Camb. , June 1922 ), ‘ Westminster School and its connection with North Wales ’ ( Trans. Angl. Antiq. Soc. , 1932 ), and ‘ Records of the Diocesan Registry in Bangor ’ ( B.B.C.S. , 1929 ). Better known are his two valuable books, The Diocese of Bangor in the 16th Century ( 1923 ) and The Diocese of Bangor during Three Centuries , 1929 , extremely useful lists of ordinations and of appointments in Bangor diocese — the second has also a very full introduction dealing with the general history of the diocese from the 17th cent. onward. It would be ungrateful not to record also his personal kindness, his unfailing courtesy to research students of every denomination, and his readiness to facilitate their work. He took his part in the public life of his Church and of his county — for a period, he was chairman of Caernarvonshire county council . He d. 4 July 1940 , aged 73.

Bibliography:

  • Foster , Alumni Oxonienses ;
  • obituary notices in Archaeologia Cambrensis , 1940 , and Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club , 1941 ;
  • personal acquaintance.

Author:

Emeritus Professor Robert Thomas Jenkins, C.B.E., D.Litt., Ll.D., F.S.A., (1881-1969), Bangor