Dictionary of Welsh Biography

A new website has been created for The Dictionary of Welsh Biography. It will be launched at the beginning of November 2018 and will include new content, functions and design. Head over to biography.wales now to see what's new!

This website will eventually be replaced by biography.wales. In the meantime, we would like to hear from our users so you're welcome to send us any questions or feedback that you may have.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

LLOYD , DANIEL LEWIS ( 1843 - 1899 ), schoolmaster and bishop ;

b. at Fron , Llanarth, Cards. , 23 Nov. 1843 , son of John Lloyd . He was educated at Lampeter College School , and won a scholarship ( 1864 ) at Jesus College , Oxford , where he graduated B.A. in 1867 , being placed in the second class in Litterae Humaniores. He was ordained deacon in 1867 and priest in 1869 , and took his M.A. in 1871 . From 1867 to 1872 he was curate of Dolgelley and headmaster of the grammar school there; in 1873 he went to Friars School , Bangor , as headmaster , and in 1878 to Christ College , Brecon . In each of these schools he did much to raise the standard of work and the number of the pupils, and he was instrumental in helping promising boys on. In 1890 he was appointed bishop of Bangor , but ill-health soon impeded his activity, and he resigned in 1899 . He retired to Gwynfryn , Llanarth , and d. there, 4 Aug. ; he is buried in the churchyard at Llanarth . He m. Elizabeth Margaret , daughter of the Rev. D. Lewis of Trawsfynydd , who, with three daughters, survived him. Lloyd was the first Welsh -speaking bishop for 200 years (see Evans , John , 1651? - 1724 ) to be appointed to Bangor . During his tenure of the see he brought out a hymn-book, Emyniadur yr Eglwys , which is still in use, but it would appear that it was as headmaster that he was most successful.


  • Yr Haul , Aug. 1899 ;
  • Who was who? ;
  • The Cambrian News , 11 Aug. 1899 .


Thomas Iorwerth Ellis, M.A., (1899-1970), Aberystwyth

Published date: 1959