Dictionary of Welsh Biography


A new website has been created for The Dictionary of Welsh Biography. It will be launched at the beginning of November 2018 and will include new content, functions and design. Head over to biography.wales now to see what's new!

This website will eventually be replaced by biography.wales. In the meantime, we would like to hear from our users so you're welcome to send us any questions or feedback that you may have.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



LEWIS family, of Van, Glam.

This was a prominent Glamorgan family which can be treated as a whole, as no one of its members was of great historical importance. Its distinguishing characteristics were a lengthy pedigree and a marvellous aptitude for the acquisition of property.

EDWARD LEWIS

was the first that took the surname. He built the older portions of Van , near Caerphilly, Glam. , and enclosed the park . He purchased the manor of Roath-Keynsham , part of the estate of Keynsham abbey , and was sheriff of Glamorgan in 1548 , 1555 , and 1559 . His wife was Ann , daughter of Sir William Morgan , of Pencoyd, Mon. , a member of the Tredegar family .


THOMAS LEWIS ,

his son, was sheriff of Glamorgan in 1569 . His first wife was Margaret Gamage of Coity , at the time widow of Miles Mathew of Llandaff . He added to the Van and built the Lewis house in S. Mary Street , Cardiff , which was finally demolished about 1865 . He d. at Cardiff 2 Nov. 1594 . The ‘inquisitiones’ taken on his death are of considerable local interest.


Sir EDWARD LEWIS ( 1560 - 1628 ),

eldest son of Thomas Lewis [the man who gave the living of Llanfaches to William Wroth , q.v. ], was knighted in 1603 , and was sheriff of Glamorgan in 1601 and 1612 . He indulged in a good deal of litigation and added considerably to the family estates. The most interesting of his purchases was S. Fagans castle , bought from Sir William Herbert of Cardiff in 1616 , and now the Folk Museum of Wales . This included the present house built by Dr. John Gibbon about 1590 . He d. 9 Jan. 1628 .


Sir EDWARD LEWIS (d. 1630 ), the second,

was also knighted in 1603 . He lived at Edington, Wilts. , of which he was lessee. He was Gentleman of the Privy Chamber to prince Henry in 1610 and afterwards to prince Charles . He d. at Edington , 10 Oct. 1630 — two years after his father.


WILLIAM LEWIS (d. 1661 ),

succeeded to the estate and d. in 1661 . His wife was Margaret , heiress of the estates of Brill and Boarstal , to both of which he added. He was a strong Parliamentarian .


EDWARD LEWIS ( 1650 - 1674 ),

who was born 30 July 1650 , bequeathed the Glamorgan estate to his uncle Richard Lewis in tail male.


The uncle, RICHARD LEWIS ( 1623 - 1706 ), purchased the manor of Corsham and was buried there. He certainly neglected and possibly dismantled Van . He d. 7 Oct. 1706 .


THOMAS LEWIS (d. 1736 ),

son of Richard Lewis , was the last Lewis of Van . The date of his birth is not recorded but it must have been before 1668 . He was a member of Parliament for various constituencies for many years. He d. at Soberton, Hants. , his wife's property, 22 Nov. 1736 . ELIZABETH , his only daughter and heiress, m. Other Windsor , third earl of Plymouth of the first creation .

Sources:

  • G. T. Clark , Limbus patrum Morganiæ et Glamorganiæ being the genealogies of the older families of the lordships of Morgan and Glamorgan (London, 1886) .

Author:

Henry John Randall, F.S.A., (1877-1964), Bridgend

Published date: 1959