He was presented to the Bishop of Hereford by the Bishop of St. David's . On 21 Aug. 1768 he was ordained deacon at Abergwili and became curate of Cathedin , Brecknock , 1768-70 , (he was ord. priest at Hereford while he was curate at Cathedin ), parish priest of Llanfihangel Cilfargen , Llanfihangel Aberbythych , and Llandyfeisant (all near Llandilo ), 1770-1833 , rector of Llanedi , 1782-6 , and of Penboyr , 1784-1833 , rural dean of Emlyn , prebendary of Clyro in Christ College , Brecon , 1796-1833 , and archdeacon of Cardigan from 1814 to 1833 .
He set aside a considerable portion of his stipend towards the building of churches in the places under his care , and the newly-founded S. David's College , Lampeter , was generously supported by him. He supported the circulating schools of Bridget Bevan and testified to the ability of Morgan Rhys the hymn-writer as a schoolmaster in his parishes in 1771-2 by applying for an extension of his services for 1772-3 .
He was a patron of the Cymreigyddion Society of Carmarthen for many years and was an influential member of the Carmarthen eisteddfod committee in 1819 . He delighted in the Welsh language and literature , and many bards and writers dedicated books to him, more especially Daniel Evans ( Daniel Ddu o Geredigion ) . There are strong reasons for believing that the Vaughan family of Golden Grove were his patrons.
He lived at Llandilo from 1770, d. there 1 Oct. 1835 [in his 89th year], and was buried there on 8 Oct.
Chancellor John Williams James, D.D., Aber, Bangor
Published date: 1959