Dictionary of Welsh Biography



A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z



BARHAM family, of Trecŵn, Pembs. On 1 July 1754 at Cheltenham , Dorothea , fourth daughter of John Vaughan of Trecŵn and Joan Corbet his wife, m. JOSEPH FOSTER -BARHAM , son of Colonel John Foster ( 1681 - 1731 ), of Egham House , Surrey , and Jamaica . He was b. 16 Dec. 1729 in Jamaica , where the family had large estates which he inherited. He assumed the surname of his step-father, Dr. Henry Barham , in 1750 , and d. in 1789 .

JOSEPH FOSTER -BARHAM , his eldest son by Dorothea Vaughan , b. 1 Jan. 1759 , succeeded to the Trecŵn estate in 1803 on the death of his aunt, Martha Vaughan , the last of the old family of Trecŵn [she had Moravian associations — see Cymm. , xlv, 76]. In 1792 he m. Caroline Tufton (d. 1832 ), second daughter of Sackville Tufton , 8th earl of Thanet . The first of the Barhams to live at Trecŵn , he was M.P. for Stockbridge for about fifty years. On his death in 1832 he was succeeded by his eldest son JOHN FOSTER -BARHAM , M.P. for Stockbridge and afterwards for Kendal , who, in 1834 , m. lady Catherine Grimstone , daughter of the earl of Verulam , but d. without issue in 1838 . He was succeeded by his brother (the third son), the Rev. CHARLES HENRY FOSTER -BARHAM of Trecŵn ( 1808 - 1878 ), M.P. for Appleby ( 1832 ), J.P. for Pembroke and Westmorland , and M.A. , Oxford . He m. (1), 1836 , Elizabeth Maria (d. 1860 ), daughter of William Boyd Ince of Ince , co. Lancaster , and (2), Ellen Catherine , daughter of E. T. Massey , of Cottesmore, Pembs.

From about 1855 it was the Rev. Charles Foster-Barham and his first wife who mainly supported a school (first kept across the boundary in Llanstinan parish and later at Nant-y-bugail ) for the children of the district. In 1868 the well-known ‘ Barham School ’ at Trecŵn was founded by Henry Alexander Ince in memory of his sister's interest in local education. Charles Foster-Barham d. at Trecŵn without issue, and the family estates came to his nephew, FRANCIS WILLIAM ROBINS , b. at S. John's Wood in 1841 , son of his sister Caroline Gertrude Foster-Barham who m. the Rev. Sanderson Robins (d. 1862 ), rector of Shaftesbury . On succeeding to the estates he took the name of Barham and resided at Trecŵn . He held the rank of captain in the Queen's 60th Rifles , m. ( 1868 ) Mary Agnes Cook at Montreal , and d. 8 Dec. 1926 .

Bibliography:

  • The Pembrokeshire County Echo , 9, 16, and 23 Dec. 1926 , 30 March 1933 ;
  • Western Mail , 29 June 1928 , 11 March 1937 ;
  • Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales , ii, 894;
  • Burke's Landed Gentry , 1868 , 53, 502-3;
  • Richard Fenton , A Historical Tour through Pembrokeshire (1st ed.), 343;
  • N.L.W., Church in Wales MSS. at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth (Visitations Queries and Answers);
  • Kelly's Directory , 1901 and 1926 .

Author:

Dr Bertie George Charles, Ph.D., (1908-2000), Aberystwyth